Sorry I was gone for so long but life got hard and complicated. We did manage to give the grands a wonderful Christmas.
The holidays are over and I am more relaxed and ready to work hard in my studio. AKA the dinning room.
I made a lot of the Christmas gifts we gave this year. Of course most will still be very late in the giving.
I think crafting and blogging are like walking and chewing gum at the same time, easy for some and not for others. Maybe you just have to get in a rhythm.
Yesterday I managed to fussy cut pieces for two caps and a quilt.
This fleece started out looking something like this. I wanted the ducks whole on each panel of the cap crowns. The squares are 6 1/2 inches and will be used for a baby quilt.
And I almost finished this cap for grandson little J.
I hope to get more done today. Just keep on working, working, working, gotta keep on working rawhide. Did I just date myself? Ok, that’s even before my time LOL.
The quilt top from the kit only had squares of the Mickey Mouse material. I guessed I was supposed to piece them together. I did just that. It looked awful.
It didn’t make sense to take a piece of cloth, cut it into squares, and sew the squares back together. I reasoned it would look better if every other square was different.
I undid all the squares. I just loved doing that. NOT! I decided to use the backing material for the other squares.
I looked in all those books to come up with what size a baby quilt should be. The smallest one was 29 1/2″x 29 1/2″ and the largest 50″ x 60″ so I had a lot of leeway.
The original squares were 8 1/4″. I had to cut them down because I washed the fabric and they had frayed a little. I didn’t want to waste too much so I cut them 7 inch square.
Note: the fabric hadn’t been washed and I always wash what I use. It’s better for your machine and better for humans who come in contact with it.
I used 1/4″ seams. There are four squares across and 6 squares down so 24 squares total.
I would have to say this looks much better.
I was pushed past my comfort zone! Well maybe I was gently guided.
Two wonderful ladies from my church stopped by two weeks ago. They told me about their work with “Project Linus“. They knew that I liked to sew and asked me if I would help. I told them I had never made a quilt and didn’t know anything about quilting. They assuered me I wouldn’t have any trouble, everything I needed was all in the kits they made up, and all I needed to know was how to sew. LOL
Now I ask you, how could I say no? How hard could it be. It shouldn’t take a lot of time everything was all cut up for me and all I had to do was put it together. They left three kits and departed.
I opened the first kit. Yes, there were top pieces. Yes, there was backing material. Yes, there was even batting. But what wasn’t there were the instructions.
Ok, now what.
It’s a good thing that I had been planning to learn to quilt because I have a few quilting books on my shelves.
This book was so helpful.
It has you work through lessons. After lesson one you have a mugrug of sorts. Ok, mine had some problems.
I learned a lot working through this but I was still left with these kits unmade. So I decided to take it one step at a time.